extra background stuff and work flow idea

Mike Holstein mikeh789 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 12 13:55:24 UTC 2011

On Sat, Nov 12, 2011 at 6:56 AM, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net>wrote:

> **

i have participated in discussion about taking pulse audio out. personally,
it doesnt get in my way, and i also think there are some users who dont do
audio production exclusively who would probably prefer an experience closer
to the main ubuntu (meaning pulse included). however the majority or users
are likely audio/MIDI folks, and i could see, and support not having pulse
included by default, and i personally also know how to install pulse if i
need/want it. of course that argument could be applied the other way, and
any user can remove pulse.

kernel-rt is over. here is what the debian multimedia team states about it
from here @ http://wiki.debian.org/DebianMultimedia#Realtime_kernel

"The Debian Multimedia team is not working on including a kernel image with
the realtime-patches applied in Debian. Much of the realtime-patches have
been accepted in the mainline kernel, to the point that for most purposes
the stock Debian kernel is suitable even for realtime-like work."

i know its going to be challenging to let go of the mentality that we need
a realtime kernel. we hope to have the -lowlatency kernel included by
default this cycle, and we are planning on doing some testing/benchmarking
with different equipment and the -generic vs -lowlatency kernels over the
next few weeks.

there will *not* be a kernel-rt included this cycle. if someone would like
to instigate the inclusion of a kernel-rt, you are welcome to come on the
IRC and go through the same avenues that we (mostly Scott Lavender) have
been going through to get the -lowlatency kernel (potentially) included in
the main repository for the past 3 cycles. if the kernel is not in the main
repos, we cant ship it. PPA's easily add that functionality for the end
user after the installation.

MH

mikeholstein.info <http://www.mikeholstein.info/>