We've fallen, but we can get back up.

Cory K. coryisatm at ubuntu.com
Sat Aug 13 17:45:42 UTC 2011

Over the past few weeks I've felt much like I did when I stopped being
active on the team 2 releases ago. Beaten and disheartened. We simply
aren't the team we once were. Family, work, school. Many things pop up
and take away our attention or team members altogether. Regardless of
the reasons, we simply can not do what we used to.

Producing a Ubuntu Studio install disk must stop. Even now, in the
middle of a cycle.

We spend so much of our time with disks, seeds, integration, changes
Ubuntu proper makes, bugs that loosely relate to us and whatnot that
we don't focus on what I've felt our core purpose is. Showing people
that you can be creative and productive using Linux.

So yeah. I'm saying that we stop now. No Oneric release. We need
significant restructuring and refocusing on what we as a team with
constant churn can actually achieve.

I will quickly give some ideas but I'm starting a wiki page that we
can develop. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuStudio/NewStudio I will get
info outlined in the coming days.

Ideas:
*PPA for tested and trusted pkgs. Kernels, new apps ect. All with the
intention of getting anything we can eventually into Ubuntu.
*No installable releases. (/Possibly/ spinning an add-on disk (i
think Edubuntu does this) or LTS only releases.)
*We would become an add-on and desktop agnostic.
*Theming can be done to support KDE and XFCE.
*Continue development of "Controls" to allow users to set things easily.
*Clean up our LP pages. As changes happen to LP so do our pages.
Things feel/look very convoluted and need love.

Just some quick ideas. (and not all I have)

Could be a big change but we just can't keep it up. Our quality in
releases has gone down for sure and it makes me ill. We need
significant changes.

This email could be better, but I need to get something out to get the
ball rolling. Things will be more thought out on the wiki.

--
-Cory K.
 Ubuntu Studio dev