Ubuntu Studio 11.10 UI discussion. GNOME3, Unity, XFCE and Studio users workflow.

Scott Lavender scottalavender at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 20:00:52 UTC 2011

On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 12:41 PM, C K <coryisatm at gmail.com> wrote:

> AWN (avant-window-navigator) is the only one I mentioned. Though
> really, whatever best replaces a panel, actually, whatever is the best
> balance for us is what we should use.
> I use AWN and Docky on different systems. AWN works nicer without
> compositing IMO.
> I also wanted to look into "stacking" applets. (awn has one:
>
> http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_tSxyVygKnu0/TT-8DRg0wlI/AAAAAAAAAUQ/PEsFN3eVdDQ/s320/stack_applet.png
> )
> See if its something we can populate with task focused apps. Like we
> do with the Studio menus.
> Anyone else have ideas here?
>
> --
> -Cory K.

I did some testing with AWN, Cairo, Docky, and Wbar.  I need to look at the
results as I was busy doing something else.  Although I can say that wbar
didn't work at all for me and that AWN had the most dependencies to install,
almost orders of magnitude more than Cairo or Docky.

But I did manage to get this created.  This is my idea for the dock but
requires getting the dock's (whichever we choose) developer to work with us.
http://mousike.dyndns.org/dock/

I am very interested if anyone has opinions about my suggestion for the
dock.  I hope this webpage explains it clearly.

ScottL