Pulse Audio and Jack in Maverick

ttoine at ttoine.net ttoine at ttoine.net
Sun Sep 5 23:13:40 BST 2010

Le 04/09/2010 10:05, David Henningsson a écrit :
> 2010-09-03 18:34, ttoine at ttoine.net skrev:
>
>> Hi everybody,
>>
>> I just saw in the Maverick beta wiki pages that in Ubuntu Studio
>> Maverick, some work has been done for better integration between
>> PulseAudio and Jackd. Is it available for vanilla Ubuntu too ?
>>
> Yes. I'm assuming it is the Jack2-dbus and PA device handover that the
> document is talking about.

Ok, I can confirm that in Maverick Beta, it is ok: Pulse Audio don't
stop the sound if you launch qjackctl nor jackd; two sound cards (one
for Pulse Audio and one for Jack) works good; if you start jackd on the
default Pulse Audio sound card, Pulse Audio applications will not crash,
but you won't see any jack sink choice, just too bad (with
pulseaudio-module-jack package installed, of course).

So, three options to fix this problem:
  - Document a small script or command line that we can add to the jackd
command or in the setup of qjackctl to ask Pulse Audio to load jack sink;
  - Create a Pulse Audio script that would load a jack sink, a kind of
fake jack sound card would be visible in the hardware list in the
Preferences panel of Pulse Audio. I am for this possibility, it is the
more simple for the user and it let the choice; if the user choose the
jack sink "sound card", or if there is only one sound card, then, Pulse
Audio would be visible in applications like Patchage;
  - Create a Pulse Audio script that would load jack sink, enable sound
on default sound AND on jack sink, and then, it would be to the user to
connect (eg with patchage) the Pulse Audio outputs to the soundcard outputs.

Toine