Last call (was "Natty and RT Kernel)

Scott Lavender scottalavender at gmail.com
Tue Oct 5 15:39:08 BST 2010

Ciao Alessio!

On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 9:27 AM, Alessio Igor Bogani <abogani at ubuntu.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> If you would want help in kernel stuff for Ubuntu Studio please reply
> to these questions:
>
> Which are kernels on you are interested in? The -rt, -lowlatency or
> -realtime?

I am very interested in the -lowlatency kernel.  I believe this to be the
future default kernel for Ubuntu Studio installations!

Which kernels you use on per day basis (so you can provide at least
> test and feedback)?

Currently I have been using the -generic kernel because it provides more
than adequate performance for my hardware and needs.  However, when we start
testing and maintaining the -lowlatency kernel in the repositories I should
use it exclusively.

> How do you would want help (test, packaging, upstream relation, Ubuntu
> relation, Studio relation and so on)?

I would expect to help with testing, packaging, Ubuntu relations, and Studio
relations ;)

> Which Ubuntu releases do you would want see well supported for
> that/those kernels? Every releases or only LTS?

I would like to see the -lowlatency kernel supported and maintained for
every Ubuntu Studio release.

I should also point out that we CANNOT maintain a current (meaning aligned
with the Ubuntu kernel) -rt kernel (or -realtime kernel) for each Ubuntu
Studio release.  In fact, I am of the strong opinion that we shouldn't even
discuss aligning the -rt kernel to any particular Ubuntu Studio release, LTS
or otherwise.

I believe we should maintain the -rt kernel in a PPA (since it cannot be
maintained in the repositories anymore) and update it as the patch becomes
available, regardless of the current Ubuntu kernel version.  This means that
we will be providing the latest -rt kernel as they become available in the
only medium available to us.

> Please reply only if you want help.
>
> Thanks
>
> Ciao,