Last call (was "Natty and RT Kernel)

ailo ailo.at at gmail.com
Tue Oct 5 10:37:39 BST 2010

  On 10/05/2010 09:16 AM, Alessio Igor Bogani wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 2010/10/4 ailo<ailo.at at gmail.com>:
>> I'm on Ubuntu Maverick 64 bit, nvidia 7025 integrated graphics.
> Which version of nvidia drivers you would want use?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Ciao,
> Alessio

You mean nouveau or nvidia-current?
I prefer nvidia-current.

I suppose there are few occasions when both realtime and 3d graphics are
needed at the same. Perhaps when doing live-music and graphics from the
same machine?
My experience with karmic (puredyne) and -rt was very positive when it
comes to stability and performance.
As long as it is safe, I prefer nvidia-current support.

I have one bad experience from -rt, when two of my hard disks died at
the same time. This was last year, with Centos and planet ccrma
installed. Old hardware, and the computer did not shutdown properly. A
few days later, when I started the computer, the hard drives were not
recognized by the bios.
There were some problems with irq and acpi. Irq problems, because of
some pci cards, I think.
Not being very smart on the subject I can only speculate what the cause
was. Maybe lightning?

I can do testing on amd64 and core duo, both with nvidia graphic cards
as well as P3 or P4, but without 3d graphic drivers.