Lucid Lynx - Why it will rock.

Scott Lavender slavender at consolidated.net
Tue Oct 20 03:30:33 BST 2009

On Mon, 2009-10-19 at 14:10 -0700, Eric Hedekar wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 1:36 PM, Cory K. <coryisatm at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Because we will command it to be so. :)
> >
> > All kidding aside, I'm considering throwing my hat back in the ring for this
> > next cycle. My schedule will keep me more on Luke's time online but that's
> > just how it is. Any objections?
> >
> > So. What do we wanna tackle?
> >
> > JACK in main.
> > New art (James (dashua) and I will tackle this)
> > LOTS of bug fixin'. *-controls and *-settings bugs are drivin' me nuts.
> > Looks like *-controls needs love as well.
> >
> > Now I have a proposal for the site I wanted to run by you guys 1st before I
> > put it on the list. :) I'm thinking /if/ we can't do a complete site
> > overhaul we point our domains to the wiki. The site has just been too much
> > of a hassle without someone dedicated to maintain it. Y/N?
> >
> > Since Lucid is an LTS I think it's important we get a plan and put it into
> > action as soon as we can.
> >
> > I have started a page to has out things:
> > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuStudio/LucidPlanning
> >

> > -Cory K. \m/
> >
> > --
> >

> I'm planning on giving the website a little bit of loving very soon -
> I'd hate to see the wiki be our front page.
>
> Cory can you add that link to our upcoming meeting agenda
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuStudio/Meetings/2009Nov9
> It's great to hear you're coming back to the project.
>
> And yes, Lucid will Rock - provided there's a solid kernel.
>
> -Eric Hedekar

Glad to see Cory is back.

Jack in main - I started an MIR for it and took it as far as I could.
Others will need to answer a few more questions (and hopefully explain
to me some more again about how they answered them).
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MainInclusionReportJACK

Also, getting Jack into the main will also help with libffado into the
main.  Firewire support into main was another goal I had read about in a
previous meeting from a year or so ago.

Hopefully we can get both of these into the main for Lucid.

Art - I had an idea about getting more submissions for art.  What if we
held a contest for the community?  The prize could be swag (stickers,
t-shrits, buttons) that perhaps someone with stroke (Luke, Cory, Luis,
Eric?) could get from Jono or someone else at Conical.  Anything free
that we could send to the winners.  I would be willing to donate some
money to a pool so we could buy the prizes if we had to.

As an artist who wouldn't want their art featured in a LTS version of
Ubuntu Studio.  I damn well would.  Hopefully, between having your art
featured for two years and a prize, we can draw some more submissions.

This would also go for themes.  Perhaps even including some example
content like the liveCD does.  Just throwing out ideas.

Web site - I second Eric's motion about trying to avoid dumping people
to the wiki as default.  I certainly don't have a clear suggestion for
updating the website other than to ask if we can make more effecient use
of vertical space.

By this I mean I don't like to have to scroll down a bunch to find the
meat of a page.  Most people have wider screens than they are tall,
spread that stuff out left to right.

PR - Would it be worth it to syndicate the news section of the web site
to Planet Ubuntu to gain some exposure and publicity?

We could take about the direction we are heading.  Ask questions (IM
removed or revert to Pigdin?).  Provide interviews with studio-devs.
Anything to get Ubuntu Studio in peoples minds.

Anyways, glad to see that things appear to be moving in a good
direction.
--
Scott Lavender <slavender at consolidated.net>