Testing Team

Eric Hedekar afterthebeep at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 22:16:55 GMT 2009

On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 12:54 PM, Cory K. <coryisatm at gmail.com> wrote:

> Now, this might seem like I'm poo poo'in' on the idea a bit but hear me
> out.
>
> To this point, generally, applications work in Studio. Bugs are filed
> aginst apps and are usually taken care of by upstream. So, I would like
> to know, with this idea there had to have been some inspiration.
> Something that sparked this idea for you Eric. What was it?
>
> Well the moment that triggered this thought was an e-mail sent to me by a
member of my LoCo that read
"I would like to be a member of the Ubuntu Studio testers. I have been using
it for a long time."
and I thought back to a large number of people who had e-mailed the users or
dev list saying 'yes, I'll help test ubuntu studio' but failed to continue
through with many (if any) test reports.

As I sat and thought of the response I should send to this latest e-mail, it
became clear that there has to be a better way to organize testing.
Furthermore, I didn't want to have to write every instructional e-mail to
new testers myself.  A community of testers seemed to be the natural
solution, and a solution that was used for this same problem in Ubuntu in
general.  The community or 'team' structure also encourages participation
and growth, which I thought would be a great things to see in Ubuntu Studio
Testing.

> OS-wise, Studio does have a couple of bugs I really wanna see taken care
> of this cycle. ie: *-menu, *-controls and *-settings. But aside from
> that I'd like to know what would be the specific focus of testing that
> procedures would be developed from?

I would imagine a combination of A) program testing new features (does
pencil save properly, does a particular LV2 plugin crash ardour, etc...)
before they're committed to release (this also would catch packaging errors
such as the Ardour import bug we had a couple releases back) B) wider
testing and reporting of RT issues/complications  C) Ubuntu Studio specific
program and settings testing (*-menu, *-controls, *-settings, etc...)  D)
more thorough ISO testing (might have caught the karmic issue about
installing ttf-mscorefonts-installer offline)

This is just a quick brainstorm on the matter.  I'm sure as the team is
formed, more structured testing rules and policies will grow (and I'll help
them grow with the input of the dev team).  I'd also like to note that the
dev team is more than welcome to join the testing team to help coordinate
things.

-Eric Hedekar