Addition(s) to the Video Meta package

Eric Hedekar afterthebeep at gmail.com
Sun Aug 2 23:03:48 BST 2009

Hi Ronan,

I'm not sure what troubles you're having with your mailing list registration
(I did get your first response to my e-mail - where you cc'ed Salsaman).
Hope you get that sorted out.

As for the getdeb.net package of Lives, they don't provide a source package
for anyone to view (and the Ubuntu archives requires a source package
upload).  However, it looks like there is someone attempting to get it
packaged for Ubuntu: http://revu.ubuntuwire.com/p/lives and they've
commented on this bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/103616

I'm not a video guy myself and it'd be nice for all the developers to hear a
little more about Lives and its capabilities.  In particular, is it mostly a
NLE, or is it's focus on live effects processing?

As for the currently packaged apps that I suggested be added to the video
meta,
FreeJ - possible, but it's interface is strange
EffecTV - seems a little more like a fun toy than a serious gig/production
tool
Frei0r - no real reason to include this if it's just a library, if a program
like Lives or kdenlive is included then it will naturally get installed as a
dependency so there's no point in directly including it in the meta
GEM - I REALLY think this would be a great addition to the meta.

Beyond that, I'd like to see Lives packaged, and may contact the person
working toward that (ask if they're going to update to 1.0.0 or stick to the
0.9.8).

-Eric Hedekar