Suggestions/ideas

Cory K. coryisatm at nc.rr.com
Wed Jan 30 13:50:33 GMT 2008

Yvan Vander Sanden wrote:
> Cory K. wrote:
>
>> If you want to work with us the official place for documentation will
>> be: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuStudio and I've given you the name of
>> our Doc guy. Or hit _MMA_, luisbg or jussi01 up on IRC.
>>

> I agree that as far as a support forum goes, we'd better try to
> integrate with the existing Ubuntu forums because lots of issues are
> general ubuntu issues.
>
> however, 'documentation' in my opinion goes further than helping people
> to get a program running. An Ubuntu studio documentation project should
> (i think) guide people on how to actually use the software. Giving them
> some tutorials, references and tips.
>
> Now, you could argue that something like that should be related to the
> program itself, not to Ubuntu Studio. And maybe it should. But on the
> other hand, if Ubuntu's aim of making it easy for people to use Linux is
> important, consistent documentation on applications used in Ubuntu
> Studio could be very useful. After all, not all applications are very
> well documented on their projects' website. And certainly not all
> programmers are equally good in making documentation that is best fit
> for new users.
>
> I think that a section with well written documentation could be very
> important for the future growth of our users. But it should not be in
> the form of a forum or some randomly linked tutorials. It should be made
> in a consistent, easy to understand manner. Maybe a bit like if you're
> expecting it to be printed as a book.
>
> But of course, it remains to be seen if enough people would work on
> something like that.
>
> Regards,
>
> yvan

I agree that https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuStudio needs more,
as well as upstream.

It just needs someone to do it. Will it be you?

This is not personal at all but it's just tiring to get the same
suggestions over and over without help. We're well aware of what needs
improvement but can't by any means do it all. I have asked for
documentation help a couple of times on our ML's and Ubuntu Forums.

The team has built this little distro and given all the appropriate
places to get involved. One just needs to grab the ball and run. We'll
help any way we can. Me personally, I won't unless that someone is
committed. Otherwise, it's a waste of my personal time to answer
numerous questions for someone that 99% of the time go nowhere. I have a
family and better ways to budget my time.

-Cory