Where we are now. (Jan. 6th meeting update)

Cory K. coryisatm at nc.rr.com
Mon Jan 7 17:34:09 GMT 2008

Update from the meeting on Jan 6th 2008.

Cory K. wrote:
>> This is the amended list of Ideas/Decisions that came out of out team
>> meeting on Sunday. It includes who specific tasks were assigned to.
>>
>> Thanx to all who attended. It was a very productive meeting.
>>

>> **PACKAGING**
>>
>> 1) New Packages
>>  * liquid-resize-plugin - (jussi01)
>>

> This was absorbed into the gimp-plugins-registry package and is in Hardy
> now.
>

>>  * wired - (tsmthe "On hold")
>>  * alsa-firmware (get into restricted modules) - (tsmthe)
>>

> No change in status.
>

>>  * gigedit - (AstralJava)
>>

> Need update in status.

AstralJava should start work on this soon.

>>  * freemix - (luisbg)
>>  * openlibs - (rexbron)
>>  * jbatch - (rexbron)
>>

> Waiting on upstream issues to be solved.
>

>>  * genpo - (rexbron)
>>

> This is has made it into Hardy. Nice going Andrew. ;)
>

>> 2) Packages to look out for will be handled by a script that Joe will
>> create. It will show the Gutsy version vs. Debian (sid) vs. Hardy.
>>  * The job of reviewing this list will be assigned to someone. (Jussi
>> and AstralJava will handle this)
>>

> Joe has finished all the this but because of server issues hasn't
> brought it online yet. Should be up soon.

Joe has been a slack-ass on actually getting this posted to the list but
work on it seems to be done. :P

>> 3) Recruitment. (not this cycle)
>>
>> 4) Get guys on a MOTU path. (syncs/merges and such) (TheMuso has a hand
>> on this)
>>
>> 5) What do we do with our PPA?
>>  * It was decided we will use it as our own playful,crackfull testing space.
>>

> No change.
>

>> 6) Go over our package descriptions to standardize the use of "Ubuntu
>> Studio" in them.
>>  * ie: No Ubuntustudio or UbuntuStudio or Ubuntu-Studio. Always "Ubuntu
>> Studio". (luisbg will handle this)
>>

> Done and uploaded.
>

>> 7) Remove unneeded files from our art packages.
>>  * There looks to be duplicate files. (TheMuso will do this)
>>

> Done and uploaded.
>

>> 8) Edit meta descriptions to fix how they are displayed in our Tasksel
>> options. (Will need testing. Revert if it doesnt work.)
>>

> Not implemented yet.

Not implemented. Joe should be working on this with Luke.

>> 9) Backport important packages. (keep backports in mind for packages
>> users would want and file the needed bug.
>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BackportRequestProcess)
>>
>> 10) For modification of Ubuntu packages that we work on, we will now use
>> "Ubuntu Studio Developers <ubuntu-studio-devel at lists.ubuntu.com>"
>> instead of MOTU now.
>>

> Nothing to report.
>

>> **OTHER**
>> 1) "Review video editors to possibly move from PiTiVi." (rexbron will be
>> gathering intel)
>>

> Work is progressing.

KDEnlive and Open Movie Editor look to be the contenders here. We will
be evaluating them during the Hardy dev cycle to see which has the
better base.

Interesting development. See last comment. https://launchpad.net/bugs/105907

>> 2) How far do we diverge form Debian?
>>  * This will be evaluated based on the versions of packages in
>> Ubuntu/Debian/upstream and what features/fixes the updates bring.
>>
>> 3) Wubi support. (Decision is "No" but do testing.)
>>  * Preformance issues?
>>  * Presentation?
>>  * Leaning toward No.
>>

> No change to report.
>

>> 4) Compiz support. (Take this to the LinuxAudio ML)
>>  * Drawing the windows will cause less xruns.
>>  * Would have to ship with with a minimal config.
>>  * Disk would be bigger.
>>  * Blender crashes.
>>

> Compiz is added to our seeds and everyone is encouraged to test usage of
> Compiz with key apps in Ubuntu Studio.

Id like to see some reports on this.

>> 5) Addition of a more "full-featured" burning app. K3B, Gnomebaker or
>> Brasero  (K3B looks to be the choice based on features but take this to
>> our -users ML.
>>

> Added to our seed list.

New Items:

* Rosegarden and Scribbus have icons in the wrong sections. - This was
fixed with a new upload to -menu.
* Scribbus is missing it's icon. - Cory is looking into this.
* Brasero will replace K3B in Hardy for now. - It will need testing to
see how it fits in with what we do.
* ALSA-firmware still needs work - Toby needs to step up the work and
ask for help if need be. This _NEEDS_ to be in Hardy.
* Joe will take over handling the seeds from Luke. - This is an
important job and must be taken seriously.
* Ubuntustudio-controls is progressing and will need testing in the next
2 weeks. We will be pushing the .10 release to the archive soon.

That about covers it. Let me know if I forgot anything from the meeting.

-Cory \m/