no libasound_module_pcm_jack.so in Ubuntu Hardy?

Toby Smithe tsmithe at ubuntu.com
Mon Apr 7 12:45:27 BST 2008

On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 12:30 PM, Richard Spindler <oracle at propirate.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  I just tried to use an alsa application with jack in my newly installed
>  Ubuntu Hardy, and to my horror I noticed that the jack-alsa plugin is
>  not in libasound2-plugins any more.

This is due to an issue in the build system which means that packages
in main (ie, alsa-plugins) cannot build-depend on packages in universe
(ie, jack).

<snip>

>  the jack-module won't be included in the default libasound2-plugins
>  package because someone wants to install it by default, but does not
>  want to have libjack in by default. On launchpad it was suggested to add
>  a package like libasound2-plugins-extra that would ship this alsa-module
>  and the others that are missing.
>
>  What do you think?

This is a great idea, but subject to the caveat I described above, the
only solution would be to have two copies of the alsa-plugins source
in Ubuntu - one in main, and providing most plug-ins, and the other in
universe, providing only those that require universe
build-dependencies (ie, jack). This is not really desirable, but if
you wish to pursue it, the place to do that would be
ubuntu-devel-discuss. I've forwarded this e-mail to Launchpad bug
197957.

Good luck,

Toby