no libasound_module_pcm_jack.so in Ubuntu Hardy?

Richard Spindler oracle at propirate.net
Mon Apr 7 12:30:58 BST 2008

Hi,

I just tried to use an alsa application with jack in my newly installed
Ubuntu Hardy, and to my horror I noticed that the jack-alsa plugin is
not in libasound2-plugins any more.

As far as I know Ubuntu Studio uses packages available in Ubuntu so I
assume that if I can't find the jack-alsa-module anywhere in Ubuntu, its
not in Ubuntu Studio too.

IMHO this can be pretty much a showstopper bug, any opinion about how to
resolve that?

the jack-module won't be included in the default libasound2-plugins
package because someone wants to install it by default, but does not
want to have libjack in by default. On launchpad it was suggested to add
a package like libasound2-plugins-extra that would ship this alsa-module
and the others that are missing.

What do you think?

Cheers
-Richard