Thoughts for default Hardy UI. (.deb included)

Karoliina Salminen karoliina.t.salminen at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 15:17:09 GMT 2007

Hi,

> Its not so much the automated mounting Im worried about, its the not
> so automated unmounting. What drives me insane is having to fuss about
> to unmount a usb drive.

I have the same problem. It is slow and clumsy to unmount the drives in Linux.
This results that I just type sync and wait the disk to stop and
disconnect the drive.

> For instance, Windows XP has that little
> "Safely remove drive" Thing that pops up when a USB drive is present.

On Mac, this is simply an eject icon that is easy to press and it does
eject immediately without further questions.
In my opinion, this would be maybe most convenient if such eject icon
would be on the right
side of the menu item on the Places-menu (assuming that the places
menu is there, IMHO, it is one of the
most handy things in the Gnome UI compared to other UI environments).

E.g. menu items as follows in Places-menu:
------------------------------------
My Usb drive               eject
                                    icon
------------------------------------

The eject icon would then just run sync and unmount the drive and no questions
asked, thing just done right now. Similar things are done in the menus in the
Hildon Desktop, there is close-icon on the right side of program name
on the application
switcher menu. That kind of thing would be quite brilliant on Ubuntu
desktop too (for
ejecting (=unmounting) USB drives).

Best Regards,
Karoliina Salminen