home user back up project using deja dup

shahansad kollaparambath shahansad at gmail.com
Fri Mar 26 09:29:56 GMT 2010

Hi,
I am Shahansad and i have been thinking abt the 'home user back up' project
for some time now.

The default back up utility shipped with ubuntu has a very elegant GUI but
it lacks even very basic functionality like compressing or encrypting the
back up. Since the data backed up are generally very important the
encrypting feature is a must for many even the common users. What the
default utility does is to copy the entire content to the required
destination as it is. Data compression will save a lot of bandwidth and
storage space.

Deja Dup written in vala has most of the features required for a back up
utility, but has a very unfortunate GUI to go along with it. Also it lacks
the profiles feature.  I propose to create a new GUI to Deja Dup using gtk+
which will be intuitive and support profiles.

It seems that this approach to solve the problem would be the best. Since
Deja Dup has an active development group which would keep fixing the bugs
and adding necessary features even after the period of GSoC.

I will be grate if you can give me feed back on this project idea. Hops that
every one is having a nice time.