GSoC Proposal: Restore and backup utility

Anirudh Sanjeev anirudh at anirudhsanjeev.org
Sat Apr 3 19:26:09 BST 2010

Hi,

Excerpts from Priyanka Sharma's message of Sat Apr 03 23:35:29 +0530 2010:
> This Utility would be very useful for Ubuntu users.Ubuntu currently lacks a
> tool such
> as this, and hence a user a user-friendly front-end to the tool would help
> the non-technical
> users in performing simple backups and rollback to their system(may be
> similar to time machine).

I believe there is such a tool:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/TimeVault
Although I'm not sure how much activity exists on that.

And I'm sure every red blooded Linux user tried to build a backup system
once. I worked on a project myself called Project Sauron, which aimed to do
most of the things you're suggesting, it used git backing up changes
periodically on specified files, and providing the ability to jump to any
specified point by reverting a specific file to the commit.

You might find more luck with bup - a system that uses git packfile format
for backing up:
http://github.com/apenwarr/bup
Which is actually written in python.

Thanks,
Anirudh
--
Senior Undergraduate Student, Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur
http://anirudhsanjeev.org

The Unix philosophy - Do one thing. Do it well.