GSoC Proposal: Better Empathy Integration

Damir Gilyazov nbdarvin at gmail.com
Sat Apr 3 11:41:30 BST 2010

Hello, I'm Damir Gilyazov, I study CS in MTUSI Institut in Moscow

    * Project Name: Better Empathy Integration
    * Project Description: project consists of two parts:
         1. Evolution plugin to get contacts from Empathy (like
Automatic Contacts) and store they in evolution's address book (may be
Automatic Contacts will do it?)
         2. Beagle search engine plugin to search in Empathy's logs
    * If you would be willing and able to do other projects instead, which ones?
          o I would to do any other end-user's projects, which can be
realised on python-gtk, such as:
          o GNOME centralized file sharing administration
          o Launchpad Offline Bug Client
          o Hardware device manager and hardware database
          o Splash screen customization
          o Sound theme creator (and sound improvements)
          o Upstart compatible services-admin
          o Home User Backup Spec
          o Testdrive Front End
    * Why did you like this idea?
          o I use Evolution and Empathy every day, and want to have
their contacts synchronized. Also I like Beagle and I want to make it
default application on Ubuntu.
    * Please describe a tentative project architecture or an approach to it:
         1. Evolution plugin, written on Python
         2. Beagle plugin written on Python
    * Give us details about the milestones for this project
         1. Evolution plugin:
                o to make plugin fetch single contact
                o to make plugin fetch all contacts
                o to make plugin write contacts in evolution's address book
                o to make plugin sync
                o to make setting's GUI for plugin
         2. Beagle integration:
                o to make search
                o to make GUI extension
    * Why will your proposal benefit Ubuntu?
          o It will make Ubuntu more integrated and comfortable.
Evolution and Empathy is defaults programs, they MUST work together!

Open Source
    * Please describe any previous Open Source development experience
          o Some of my projects:
          o http://code.google.com/p/adium2pidgin-themes/ - converts
and installs Adium icon and sound themes to Pidgin. Most content of
http://www.adiumxtras.com may be installed. Written on Python.
          o http://code.google.com/p/pidgin-cairo-dock/ - Cairo-dock
plug-in for Pidgin IM. It simulates Adium behaviour on OS X. Written
on Python.
          o CodeXWars is project of multiuser online game for
programmers. Users will develop small programs that play in own small
games. Any language that can read write to stdin out are supported.
Every user's program runs on separate virtual machine for security.
There are rating of users. Many games available: NES Tanks like game ,
Quake 3 Arena -like game, some another games. There are SDK for new
games development. old page: http://code.google.com/p/python-robots .
New repository (it no public, and not-realise-state (it not work now))
http://darkv:23a8qEWqaa321@77.120.117.14:8022/codewars
          o One of my first programs on python:
http://code.google.com/p/galaxypy/ Galaxy PLUS client (early alpha)
          o http://code.google.com/p/darvin-ddenn-plugin/ open source
plugin for X-Plane avia simulator. written on c++
    * Why are you interested in Open Source?
          o I like open source ideas. Community make soft, and every
member of community use it.

Other
    * Have you ever participated in a previous GSoC? (describe your project)
          o no
    * Have you applied for any other 2010 Summer of Code projects? If
yes, which ones?
          o no
    * Why did you apply for the Google Summer of Code ?
          o -
    * Why did you choose Ubuntu as a mentoring organisation?
          o I use Ubuntu, my wife uses Ubuntu and I want to make it better
    * Why do you want to participate and why should Ubuntu choose you?
          o I want to integrate into Ubuntu developers community and
raise my developer's skills. I will maintain my project after GSoC,
and would like to participate in another Ubuntu development.