[Ubuntu-SG] Update on the ubuntu.sg website, and thoughts on TUSG

suhaw koh kohsuhaw at gmail.com
Sat May 29 12:16:43 UTC 2010

Hi Chew Earn,

Permit me to present another perspective.

The truth is that there are countless ways -  with differing levels of
commitment - that individuals may want to get "involved" with Ubuntu.

On one extreme, one can aspire to be like Richard Stallman and be thoroughly
committed to a cause and endure zero compromises.  At the other extreme,
someone may choose simply to pick up a Ubuntu CD-ROM somewhere and quietly
installs it on a computer and simply uses it.  And in between, there is a
myriad of possibilities which include everyone here in this discussion.

While I agree with you that there is "no need for grandiose ...", I do think
that there is more that we all can do.

Let me start with two very simple facts which I think you will probably find
hard to dispute:

1.  All of us here in this discussion in interested in Ubuntu.  Many of us
probably have the urge to do something to promote it further in Singapore.
 At this point in time, while we probably have different ideas about what
should be done, there is probably much common ground that we can explore
further.

2.  All of us have different skill-sets, abilities and resources at our
respective disposal.  That is so for all groups.  No two people are alike
and when different people congregate because of a common interest, it often
brings together very wide-ranging "types".

With the two simple facts above, the question moving forward is what to do
next and how to tap on the resources available.

We are all volunteers to this cause.  Each of us have other priorities and
pursuits in our respective lives.  If I can contribute a couple of hours or
so each week to something that I believe will result in greater adoption of
Ubuntu in Singapore, just tell me where to sign up.

Cheers.

suhaw