[Ubuntu-SG] Should we "Say No to Piracy"?

Tom Goh tomgohj at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 19:35:30 UTC 2009

suhaw koh wrote:
> Hi XP,
>
> I am fully aware of the pro-business stance IPOS.  But if the
> non-business interests (such as us) do not make our voices heard, can
> you blame the government for being pro-business ? :-)
>
> I am aware of the arguments against software patents.  There was a
> course I attended at NTU last year that had a long-running and very
> fierce debate on precisely this issue.  In summary, we sorta agree on
> the following (though my classmates may differ, depending on who you ask):
> *  Software patents seem ridiculous in many cases
> *  But the general patent regime is sound and has proven itself in many
> non-software cases
If they are for real innovations and inventions.
> *  If we were to scrap/ban software patents, where do we draw the line
> so that it does not also invalidate/void non-software patents ?

Companies are patenting the human genome.  That belongs to me.  Is some
company going to charge me money one day because I have chromosome x.

Companies are patenting herbs used in traditional medicine.  So does
that mean I have to pay someone to eat some herb that was in use for
thousands of years.

Monsanto patents their seed crops and because you cannot stop cross
fertilizing by wind and insects, traditional farmers get monsantos
genetics in their heirloom seeds.  They they get sued by Monsanto

So where do you draw the line??  There appears to be no line these days.
 Thats why I can never ever support it.  Not unless there is a major
change in the way it is run.

> *  Personally, I favour a do-nothing approach: When the courts see how
> ridiculous the software patents are, they can always decide to rule
> against the patent-holders, just as they have done in many non-software
> patent cases.
> *  I posed the following hypothetical case to my classmates who could
> not provide a satisfactory answer: Why should you deny patent protection
> to an inventor if he were to write a ground-breaking software that can
> identify and delete all spam emails with zero false-positives ?  Maybe
> you can provide a better response than my classmates.
Well we are not saying the original patent philosophy is wrong.  What we
are saying is that it is broken beyond repair.  Plus the spam thing
would be an algorithm not a business process.

> May I humbly suggest that we do not throw the baby out with the bath
> water.  No law is perfect.  If we disagree with any aspect of the law,
> we should work within the system to effect change rather than to dismiss
> everything and embrace anarchy. :-)
I am fine to work within the system.  Does not mean I have to support
this organization.  It represents so much that I think is wrong in this
world.

My vote is a clear NO.