[Ubuntu-SG] Should we "Say No to Piracy"?

Tom Goh tomgohj at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 19:20:21 UTC 2009

suhaw koh wrote:
> Hi XP,
>
> Please also recall that copyright is absolutely essential in allowing
> the enforcement of GPL and all other variants.

Yes but we call it CopyLeft.  There still appears to be a fundamental
disagreement to the copyright way in the FOSS community.

> Intellectual Property covers not just software patents, but also all
> other types of patents, copyrights, trademarks, service marks and even
> passing off.
Yes there is use for these things.  But since these systems have been so
completely broken for so many years, I feel that it is no longer helping
society but hindering it.  And here is why I think so:

Software Patents: Probably hundreds of thousand of useless patents for
this which could have been derived from basic business operation
improvements.  Take one-click shopping at Amazon (Our first client at my
previous company).  This patent was granted to Amazon when in fact one
click online credit card processing was being done for years in the Porn
Industry.  One click shopping is an evolution that would have happened
eventually.  Its called process optimization, its not an invention.

The Patent system was supposed to protect "REAL" innovations and
inventions, not useless things like 1 click which is a business process.
 In this day and age when the system is so completely broken, it makes
no sense to me.

Wait till you get sued for patent violation on a business process.  You
know how many millions of dollars it takes to fight that in court.  Its
in the tens of million.  Look at SCO vs IBM.  It is still going on.

> There are many things about Intellectual Property that we agree with and
> should be supportive of.  Imho, if we were to reject all IP just because
> of software patents, we risk being seen as supporting lawlessness.

I disagree.  See above.

We are not supporting lawlessness.  We are supporting freedom and
innovation.

> As for the current members of the HIP alliance, I see that as even more
> important that we should not cede that forum to them without at least
> voicing our stand.  Do recall that IPOS is a government agency, they
> should be pro-the People, not just corporate interests.  If we were to
They are not pro people.  They are pro who ever gives them more money.
Please that is a naive notion.

Countries makes it living taxing MNC corporations for doing business in
their countries.  All they have to do is lobby their government to put
pressure on a country to get what they want.  Its called politics and it
is very corrupt.  Granted Singapore is one of the least corrupt
countries in the world but we still cater to MNC businesses.