[Ubuntu-SG] June's SLMG is about to get pre-empted

Nick HS nick at daenim.com
Wed Jun 3 11:21:51 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 03,June,2009 04:33 PM, Tom Goh wrote:
> Only issue so far are:
> 1. the compiz/"Visual Effects" performance on Intel integrated graphics
> card.  I had to turn it off as it was so slow.  I can live without that.
> can't seem to find xgl package which supposedly enhances the performance.

You can try switching to UXA, depending on your graphics card this can
give better performance. There is a helpful wikipage [1] and forums
walkthrough [2] on solving the performance regressions (but I don't
recommend installing a newer kernel)
> 2. Battery life is very bad.  When I first tested XP on the new system I
> was getting about 4.5 hours.  With Ubuntu I was getting 2.5 hours.  This
> appears to still be the same in Jaunty.

I would take a look at which power governor is running the show, as well
as following powertop's suggestions.

Thanks Nick

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Troubleshooting/IntelPerformance
[2] http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1130582