[Ubuntu-SG] Software Freedom Day 2008

Rui Boon ruiboon at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 16:46:24 BST 2008

Muhammad Heidir wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I just came back from Singapore Linux Meetup Group meeting. Here are
> some of the details:
>
> For us:
>
>     - Team Ubuntu Singapore has a booth
>     - We have 200 Ubuntu CDs ready to be distributed
>
> The Event:
>
>     - Novell and Red Hat are the main sponsors
>     - Novell will be distributing Official T-Shirts for the participants
>     - Red Hat will be distributing Official Caps
>     - There are a total of 15 booths
>     - Intel will be showcasing Moblin (based on Ubuntu) a PC-like
>     portable device
>     - There will be talks given by various companies
>     - Contests
>     - Games
>     - Advertising and publicity is being done (newpapers, magazines,
>     websites, tv ,radio)
>     - Posters will be available by end of this week (22 August 2008)
>     for distribution
>     - Scouts will be in and around SMU and it neighbourhood area to
>     promote the event on actual day
>     - Install-fest activity is currently being planned by SLMG
>     - Hardware provided by Mucro Pte. Ltd.
>     - Posters, flyers, banners will be available

Addition information about SFD from [0]&[1]

*Date:* Saturday, 20 September 2008
*Time:* 10 AM until 4 PM
*Venue:* Singapore Management University <http://www.smu.edu.sg/> in the
School of Information Systems <http://www.sis.smu.edu.sg/> building

Format:  workshop/seminar and a exhibition which consists of fifteen
booths staffed by sponsors and FOSS expert (and us!)

Activities(including those in the planning process):
a. Companies and Organizations to present/speak on FOSS (Free and Open
Source Software)
b. Companies/Organizations/SLMG/LUGS to exhibit/demo in 5th floor
MultiPurpose Function Room
c. Giveaways and contests

> What the Organizer need from us:
>
>     - Our confirmed participation
>
> What We need to do:
>
>     - Tie down what we will be doing on Software Freedom Day
>     - Any hardware requirements (I have the contact person in case we
>     need additional laptops)
>     - Main purpose of our participation
>     - Contact Canonical and ask for sponsorship (requested by
>     organizer) for merchandise or more CDs
>     - Showcase Ubuntu as a consumer operating system (Red Hat and
>     Novell are promoting Enterprise systems and servers)
>     - Confirmation and coperation of all members
>
> Guys, it seems that Darrel, the organizing committee has put so much
> effort for this event. We are provided with the opportunity, even a
> booth without us requesting or sponsoring, this is our chance to
> showcase what Ubuntu is and what Team Ubuntu SIngapore represents.
> Let's make this happen. All that is required is display and promote
> Ubuntu.
>
> I hope we could schedule a meeting to discuss more details about this
> event. How about this Sunday  (24 August 2008)?
We can make use of the irc channel, #ubuntu-sg, for this.

[0] http://linux.meetup.com/5/calendar/8583070/
[1] http://www.softwarefreedomday.sg/node/2