[Ubuntu-SG] Back!

Maung Myat Thu @ Billy Aung Myint billy at ubuntu.sg
Tue Aug 19 10:12:09 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-08-19 at 18:00 +0800, Chew EK wrote:
> hi Billy
> Looking at the stats, there were only a few hundreds hits this month
> with about 5MB traffic.  This is really not much and I doubt was the
> reason the site was taken offline.  The hosting provider really is
> very bad if it don't allow such small amount of traffic.

*nods* *nods* *nods*

> Instead, it could be CPU load that caused the problem.  For a while, I
> did some of research because I was having problem accessing my site.
> There were a few complaints I read around the web, where cheap hosting
> provider will cut out a site without prior notice  whenever they see
> spike in the server CPU load.

Yes , probably the CPU load. I did request for the CPU load but nothing
come back.

> Ultimately, this was not the problem I faced, but it could be what
> happened to ubuntu.sg.  Unfortunately, you probably can't see the
> server CPU load, if the site is under shared hosting.
>
> You could try optimizing the site.  E.g. reducing size of images
> helped a lot for my site, including offloading them from the database
> (I put all my images on a static sub-domain).

But ubuntu.sg has well ... a screenshot of a desktop and if thats what
caused the server load to spike then I don't know what to say. I got no
notice or proof that Ubuntu.sg caused anything. All I got was a list of
IPs from a log file ... which will fool most people I suppose.

> Another thing I did was install WP supercache.  It's a pain to set-up,
> but helped to reduce database accesses and php loading by creating
> cache of static pages.

That would help but I am not going to stay with a provider that doesn't
care about its customers in any case. My one year contract with them
ends next April so we got about 8 months or so. Too bad canonical has no
office here if not we can ask for sponsorship.

regards
billy