[Ubuntu-SG] Back!

Chew EK chew4097 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 10:00:38 UTC 2008

hi Billy
Looking at the stats, there were only a few hundreds hits this month with
about 5MB traffic.  This is really not much and I doubt was the reason the
site was taken offline.  The hosting provider really is very bad if it don't
allow such small amount of traffic.

Instead, it could be CPU load that caused the problem.  For a while, I did
some of research because I was having problem accessing my site.  There were
a few complaints I read around the web, where cheap hosting provider will
cut out a site without prior notice  whenever they see spike in the server
CPU load.

Ultimately, this was not the problem I faced, but it could be what happened
to ubuntu.sg.  Unfortunately, you probably can't see the server CPU load, if
the site is under shared hosting.

You could try optimizing the site.  E.g. reducing size of images helped a
lot for my site, including offloading them from the database (I put all my
images on a static sub-domain).

Another thing I did was install WP
supercache<http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-super-cache/>.
It's a pain to set-up, but helped to reduce database accesses and php

Regards
Chew

Gmail/Googletalk: chew4097 at gmail.com
MSN: chewek at hotmail.com