Monday Bug Triage Report

Bryce Harrington bryce.harrington at canonical.com
Mon Aug 22 21:02:01 UTC 2022

On Mon, Aug 22, 2022 at 11:37:45AM -0700, Lena Voytek wrote:
> Bugs last updated between 2022-08-19 (Friday) and 2022-08-21 (Sunday)
> inclusive
> Date range identified as: "Monday triage"
> Found 24 bugs
>
> There were many notable bugs:

> LP: #1987118 <https://pad.lv/1987118> - dovecot - package dovecot-core
> 1:2.3.16+dfsg1-3ubuntu4 failed to inst…
> Seems to be a conf file issue, asked for more info on it

This is actually a dupe of 1983860, from the same reporter.  They
provided some additional info on that bug, which proves it is indeed a
config file typo.  Guessing they accidentally deleted something when
configuring things, but asked for confirmation.

> LP: #1987129 <https://pad.lv/1987129> - dovecot - package dovecot-core
> 1:2.3.16+dfsg1-3ubuntu2.1 failed to in…
> Missing a dependency, added a note to the bug

I think your triage analysis is correct, and I wonder if there might be
a packaging issue, however reporters statement that they plan to
uninstall dovecot seems odd; maybe they already didn't have a proper
setup before the upgrade?  I've asked for some additional clarification.
I'm suspecting there's not much to do here (other than perhaps a tweak
to the apport hook if it doesn't provide a way to skip reporting bugs.)

> LP: #1986959 <https://pad.lv/1986959> - apache2 - apache2 fails during
> upgrade to 22.04: ERROR: Conf javascript...
> LP: #1987111 <https://pad.lv/1987111> - apache2 - package apache2
> 2.4.52-1ubuntu4.1 failed to install/upgrade…
> LP: #1987117 <https://pad.lv/1987117> - apache2 - package apache2
> 2.4.52-1ubuntu4.1 failed to install/upgrade…
> Many users are reporting this issue, added duplicates to original and
> marked for discussion

Also LP: #1987338 just came in and seems same issue.

2.4.52-1ubuntu4.1 is a security CVE update that published last June.
It's odd seeing 3 of essentially the same bug (apparently?)  I notice in
the bug report some complaints about too many symlinks, which I don't
recall is a typical error; don't have a theory on how that could cause
this though.

Looking at the DpkgTerminalLog.txt files, I see:

  Configurando javascript-common (11+nmu1) ...
  Package apache2 is not configured yet. Will defer actions by package javascript-common.
  Instalando una nueva versión del fichero de configuración /etc/logrotate.d/apache2 ...
  info: Executing deferred 'a2enconf javascript-common' for package javascript-common
  ERROR: Conf javascript-common does not exist!

So the issue isn't that javascript-common isn't installed, but that
apache2 is trying to enable it when it hasn't completed configuration
yet.

That behavior sequence sounds familiar, see LP: #1874730 and LP: #1980620

I wouldn't rule out that maybe the different bugs have different root
causes, they just result in a configuration breakage in general, and
javascript-common's enablement is just the first opportunity for the
breakage to reveal itself.

Anyway, +1 to the suggestion to raise this in this week's housekeeping
meeting ala server-triage-discuss.  We can brainstorm more then.

Bryce