Apache2 mpm_event bug still present in Ubuntu repositories

Bryce Harrington bryce.harrington at canonical.com
Wed Aug 3 06:10:43 UTC 2022

> On Fri, Jun 24, 2022 at 6:53 PM Mike Luttikhuis
> <mikeluttikhuis at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > A bug in the apache2 package where mpm_event does not always
> > gracefully kill child processes after a graceful reload of the
> > service is not patched in the Ubuntu repositories. This is a nasty
> > bug because if for example a SSL certificate is replaced inside a
> > vhost configuration, then older child processes will still serve the
> > older certificate, resulting in certificate errors. Please check out
> > PR 63169. Apache fixed this bug in 2.4.49, but the bugfix is still
> > not included in the Ubuntu repository. Since this bug is pretty
> > frustrating, I was wondering if this particular bugfix can be
> > patched in Ubuntu's version of the apache2 package.
>
> Hi Mike,
> thanks for your report, at a first glimpse the case looks valid and
> doable, therefore I have converted this into a proper bug [1] to be
> tracked.
> You could help the team to have a look by providing steps to recreate
> the situation via an update on that bug.
>
> [1]: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/apache2/+bug/1979942

Mike,

I've packaged the patch you pointed out for this issue, and uploaded it
to a PPA for your testing convenience:

  https://launchpad.net/~bryce/+archive/ubuntu/apache2-fix-lp1979942

If you're interested, this may qualify to be accepted as a Stable
Release Update for all focal and bionic Ubuntu users, however in that
case we need your help.

We don't know how to reproduce the issue you experienced, based on what
was discussed upstream.  We either need your assistance to help identify
how to reproduce the problem, or we need you to handle the validation
(both now, against the PPA, and again later for final verificaiton when
it's been accepted for the archive).  If you're able to do either of
these, please join the bug report Christian filed for it and let us
know.

Thanks ahead of time,
Bryce