MIR or not to MIR (TCM or "LIO") tools

Rafael David Tinoco rafaeldtinoco at ubuntu.com
Mon Feb 24 15:28:34 UTC 2020

> Also security needs to process all the extra packages in just three days -
> unlikely right?

Could it be MIR'ed as an exception after freeze ?

Not trying to force, genuine doubt.

> IMHO while I agree It would be nice for 20.04 but if it is not doable in
> time due to all these constraints it is ok as well to "just" target 20.10
> with it.

For HA it would be important to have LIO, instead of TGT, in 20.04
because of SCSI 3 PERSISTENT RESERVATION support and the long term
support we have for LTS.

Some cluster environments, specially virtual ones not having many
fencing agents, for example, have to rely in SCSI fencing, that requires
SCSI 3 PR5 reservations, unsupported by TGT and watchdog devices to
guarantee node consistency.

> Please be on the same page with @Josh Powers <josh.powers at canonical.com> on
> this as this will be quite an intense ride to be squeezed into 20.04.

IIRC he said "as long as jamespage in on the same page", so I guess that
I'll leave it to you both to decide. Let me know if I can help with it
somehow, please.

> P.S. FYI another reason in the past was maas but they are in a snap now and
> use their "own" tgt, so no dependency to consider anymore.
> P.P.S. have you asked (TBH I'd not know where) if some of our primary
> charms might depend on tgt?

Nice, I have thought about it but was uncertain why it wasn't important
to MAAS currently.

Thanks a lot for your input!

- rafaeldtinoco