Calling for Server Guide reviewers/contributors - - TRUSTY

Doug Smythies dsmythies at telus.net
Mon May 16 14:54:14 UTC 2016

On 2016.01.03 7:58 Peter Matulis wrote:
> On 01/03/2014 10:43 AM, Peter Matulis wrote:
>> On 01/03/2014 01:08 AM, Mauricio Tavares wrote:

>>> I can help; it would be a good way to understand the new format.
>>> Should I do what you did and fetch a chapter somehow, edit it and
>>> place it somewhere so it can be seen before brought back?
>>
>> Let's work from here:
>>
>> https://code.launchpad.net/~petermatulis/+junk/serverguide-rst
>>
>> You can make a branch of that and then I can occasionally merge in your
>> new work.
>
> Mauricio, and anyone else, start by looking at installation.rst.  It
> contains good samples of the new way of doing things.  For the
> cross-reference link to the 'Aptitude' heading you will also need to
> look at package-management.rst.

Hi Peter,

We just did an update publish of the 16.04 serverguide on help.ubuntu.com.
To me it seems like a good time to look deeper into a possible markdown
language change.

I wanted to build the Ubuntu Serverguide from your markdown test project
and compare. Could you update it from the DocBook master source?
I didn't see a "PDF" option in the Makefile. Is there a way to compile
the PDF version of the Serverguide? Perhaps I should use "latexpdf"?

> Don't forget to install Sphinx.
> $ sudo apt-get install sphinx-doc

Into my main 16.04 test server, the one on which I compile Ubuntu docs, I
installed "sphinx-doc", but an HTML compile attempt still error exits with:

doug at s15:~/sguide-peter/p$ make html
sphinx-build -b html -d _build/doctrees   . _build/html
make: sphinx-build: Command not found
Makefile:45: recipe for target 'html' failed
make: *** [html] Error 127

Linux s15 4.4.0-21-generic #37-Ubuntu SMP Mon Apr 18 18:33:37 UTC 2016 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
doug at s15:~/sguide-trunk/x/build$ dpkg -l | grep sph
ii  libjs-sphinxdoc 1.3.6-2ubuntu1 JavaScript support for Sphinx documentation
ii  sphinx-doc      1.3.6-2ubuntu1 documentation generator for Python projects - documentation

... Doug