hpacucli gives 'Max array count reach' with HP Smart Array P420i raid controller on DL360p Gen8

Asif Iqbal vadud3 at gmail.com
Sat May 7 05:27:48 UTC 2016

Here is the current config on my ubuntu 12.04.4 LTS on HP ProLiant DL360p
Gen8

It has two disks configured as single disk lun (raid 0) and provisioned to
the OS and built two linux software raid1

md0 : active raid1 sda1[0] sdb1[1]
      499392 blocks super 1.2 [2/2] [UU]

md1 : active raid1 sda2[0] sdb2[1]
      292304448 blocks super 1.2 [2/2] [UU]

This server has total of 6 disk slots and a cdrom, so 2 disks are 300GB
each 4 disk slots are empty.

I brought two 1TB disks and installed in the server, but I can provision
them to the OS through this raid controller.

Here is the current layout according to the raid controller

# hpacucli controller all show config

Smart Array P420i in Slot 0 (Embedded)

Note: Predictive Spare Activation Mode is enabled, physical drives that are
in predictive failure state will not be available for use as data or spare
drives.

  (sn: 5001238012340EC50)

   array A (SAS, Unused Space: 0  MB)

      logicaldrive 1 (279.4 GB, RAID 0, OK)

      physicaldrive 1I:1:1 (port 1I:box 1:bay 1, SAS, 300 GB, OK)

   array B (SAS, Unused Space: 0  MB)

      logicaldrive 2 (279.4 GB, RAID 0, OK)

      physicaldrive 1I:1:2 (port 1I:box 1:bay 2, SAS, 300 GB, OK)

   unassigned

      physicaldrive 2I:1:5 (port 2I:box 1:bay 5, SAS, 1 TB, OK)
      physicaldrive 2I:1:6 (port 2I:box 1:bay 6, SAS, 1 TB, OK)

And when I try to provision any of those two new disks it fails with 'Max
array count reached' like below

# hpacucli controller slot=0 create type=ld drives=2I:1:5 raid=0

Error: This operation is not supported with the current configuration. Use
the
       "show" command on devices to show additional details about the
       configuration.
Reason: Max array count reached

# hpacucli controller slot=0 create type=ld drives=2I:1:6 raid=0

Error: This operation is not supported with the current configuration. Use
the
       "show" command on devices to show additional details about the
       configuration.
Reason: Max array count reached

Is the raid controller that bad that it can only provision two raid0s max?

I will go with raid1 on the raid controller if this "smart" array raid
controller is only build two raids

Since I am using ext4 and it has delayed allocation already (write behind)
and I have plenty of
memory and cpu resource I want to stick with software raid.

Thanks for any suggestion on a fix.

--
Asif Iqbal
PGP Key: 0xE62693C5 KeyServer: pgp.mit.edu