Calling for Server Guide reviewers/contributors - - XENIAL

Doug Smythies dsmythies at telus.net
Sat Mar 19 00:46:58 UTC 2016

On 2016.03.18 15:37 Brendan Perrine wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Mar 2016 21:10:44 +0000 Serge Hallyn wrote:

>> in the github markdown format.  I recall there was some discussion on this

> I read through the section on remote access

Did you mean Chapter 6 - Remote Administration ?

> and and file servers I don't know much about the ftp server
> but the server guide goes into very little detail about sftp
> which is included in open-ssh server by default and works quite
> well the only thing I really could not document on this would be
> with external clients running on systems that are not linux.
> However filezilla as a client should support sftp as well.
> The question is where would I put this as it part of
> remote access

Did you mean Chapter 6 - Remote Administration ?

> because it uses ssh but also allows file transfer
> although not quite the best for say public file downloads
> like how some places I still see ftp servers online to say download
> a manual with product information on my motherboard.

I would put in Chapter 14 - File Servers as section 2, bumping the others
down. It could refer to Chapter 6 - Section 1 - OpenSSH Server.

And then the nonexistent destination reference(s) in Chapter 14 - Section 1
FTP Server (one of two copied below):

"If you are looking to transfer files securely see SFTP in the
section on OpenSSH-Server."

could be changed to point to an actual useful reference.

If you want to proceed please edit the wiki [1] and add the new section,
put your name on it and set it to "in progress". Or I'll do it if you want.

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam/SystemDocumentation/UbuntuServerGuide