[PHP7] Request for testing

Seth Arnold seth.arnold at canonical.com
Mon Apr 4 21:35:44 UTC 2016

On Fri, Apr 01, 2016 at 05:28:32PM -0700, Nish Aravamudan wrote:
> For a few packages, our best (only) option is to update major versions
> to get PHP7 support [the alternative being dropping them from the
> archive]. The three I have hit so far are:

> drupal7 [drupal8] (7.41 -> 8.0.5)

I think it is a mistake to add drupal8 to our archives. No one has tended
to existing versions:

http://people.canonical.com/~ubuntu-security/cve/pkg/drupal6.html
http://people.canonical.com/~ubuntu-security/cve/pkg/drupal7.html

Anyone installing drupal from our archives is getting something that we
know is old and has security issues.

Packaging drupal is providing negative value to our users. If
someone absolutely must run drupal, they'd be best served to run an
upstream tarball. Then it is clear who has the burden of following
updates.

Unless someone has a serious committment to SRUing every single upstream
update for the life of 16.04 LTS I think we'd be better off dropping
drupal entirely.

Thanks