errors.ubuntu.com: mechanism on Server

Alex Muntada alexm at alexm.org
Thu Jun 6 19:01:23 UTC 2013

Robie Basak:

> 1. d-i will prompt for automatic error uploads to errors.ubuntu.com.
> This will default to Yes. The installer will be able to select No, or
> preseed this answer. MAAS will be able to use this preseed according to
> its own global configuration.

Though i understand that enabling it by default the number of reports
will be much bigger, i'd prefer a more conservative approach and set
the default to No. Even if one can set that value via preseed, it's
difficult to make so unless one's aware of its existence first. And
providing that many server installations are unattended nowadays, i
see that the Yes default could raise many concerns about the privacy
of the reports.

Thus, i'd advocate to No as a default in the short term and then make
the world know about this feature, encourage people to explicitly
enable it and resolve any privacy concerns raised. Eventually, you
could re-evaluate whether there's been sufficient public coverage of
this feature and make the decision to switch the default to Yes.

> 2. If enabled above, then there will be no further interaction. Crash
> reports will automatically be uploaded. We'll log this activity, of
> course. Perhaps we can even email root if an MTA is detected?
>
> 3. If disabled above, then the crash report will sit pending in
> /var/crash. We will then additionally:
>
>   a. Note on the motd that there are pending reports.
>   b. Note on the bash prompt that there are pending reports.
>
> 4. Eventually, cloud-init will be able to change the setting via
> cloud-config. This is so that juju environment providers will be able to
> configure the error reporting settings. Exactly how juju will work with
> this out of scope of this thread for now.
>
> Both notices will include suitable instructions on how to send the
> reports or remove them. Additionally we can provide information on how
> to disable the system entirely (/etc/default/apport) or enable automatic
> submission, so those annoyed by the prompts no longer have to see them.

No objections on the other points.

Thanks for the summary.

--
Alex Muntada <alexm at alexm.org>