errors.ubuntu.com: mechanism on Server

Clint Byrum clint at ubuntu.com
Thu Jun 6 19:44:47 UTC 2013

On 2013-06-06 03:51, Robie Basak wrote:
>> [Daviey] ... *how* to do it...
>
> I thought I'd summarise the mechanism we've proposed here, so it's in
> one place for others to follow and discuss further if they wish.
>
> 1. d-i will prompt for automatic error uploads to errors.ubuntu.com.
> This will default to Yes. The installer will be able to select No, or
> preseed this answer. MAAS will be able to use this preseed according
> its own global configuration.

Turning this on without explicit user authorization would be a breach
of confidence in Ubuntu Server. You and I know that these errors are not
going to have sensitive information in them, but users will now be
forced to audit this system or choose to turn it off. Either way, if
they fail to notice, they may discover it later and be quite unhappy
that data is leaving their systems that they weren't aware of. I like
the approach of collecting crash reports locally by default and
notifying users about them, but I think Ubuntu should only send them on
user request.

Also, you fail to mention what will be the default on the cloud images.

> 2. If enabled above, then there will be no further interaction. Crash
> reports will automatically be uploaded. We'll log this activity, of
> course. Perhaps we can even email root if an MTA is detected?
>
> 3. If disabled above, then the crash report will sit pending in
> /var/crash. We will then additionally:
>
>   a. Note on the motd that there are pending reports.
>   b. Note on the bash prompt that there are pending reports.

Please do not put it on the bash prompt. Do you want to nag people
enough to move to another OS?

I like putting it in the MOTD though.