VirtualHost: * vs. _default_

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Wed Jul 3 06:48:42 UTC 2013

When configuring SSL in Apache2, what is the difference between these two lines:
<VirtualHost *:443>
<VirtualHost _default_:443>

I've tried limited experimentation, but as I only have this cert for a
live site I can't be experimenting too long! My end goal is to serve
SSL for example.com and for sub.example.com, but setting two
sites-enabled files with the following lines does not work:
<VirtualHost example.com:443>
<VirtualHost sub.example.com:443>

I can only get SSL to serve if I use the following line, which
prevents me from configuring any additional SSL domains:
<VirtualHost *:443>

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il