[vUDS Blueprint 13.10] MongoDB into Ubuntu main

Robie Basak robie.basak at ubuntu.com
Tue Jul 2 11:46:47 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jul 02, 2013 at 11:13:08AM +0000, John Moser wrote:

[...]

> In effect, there is no legal standing for the dynamic linking clause in the
> GPL, AGPL, or similar.  If there was, then distributions could be held
> responsible for supplying i.e. MongoDB  with libagssl (a theoretical,
> functional AGPL LibSSL re-implementation) and then allowing their users to
> install libopenssl instead--now violating the terms of the AGPL.  If we try

Your logic seems to be based on assuming that dynamic linking is either
legal or illegal in all cases. I don't think this is true, and thus your
quite elaborate constructions falls down. The law is capable of looking
"through" constructions such as this, to see what is actually
happening.

"What Colour are your bits?" explains this concept well, if you've not
already read it:
http://ansuz.sooke.bc.ca/entry/23

I don't think it's productive for us to go armchair lawyering on this
list, so I'll stop now. All I wanted to say was "it's not so simple" and
I've done that now.

Robie