D.ROOT-SERVERS.NET changed January 3rd 2013

Robie Basak robie.basak at canonical.com
Tue Jan 15 02:07:50 UTC 2013

Hey Clint,

On Wed, Jan 09, 2013 at 09:30:27AM -0800, Clint Byrum wrote:
> The only hesitation is that conffile changes in updates are usually
> discouraged, but I think in this case its worth it to avoid having
> problems 1/13th of the time.

So the reason I was reluctant at first is that I considered the impact
to be insignificant and not any different from a couple of dropped
packets every restart. Doesn't bind use hints for bootstrap only, and
then it'll pick up the full root server list from whichever root server
it does find (including D's new address)? So rather than 1/13th of the
time, it's 1/13th of the time, only on restart, there will be the
equivalent of three (or so) dropped packets and then completely full and
normal operation after that?

I just wondered if we have a different view of the impact itself, or a
different view of the impact needed for an SRU. Or just that it's
trivial so we might as well SRU it?

Regardless of my view though, if others want an SRU then I'm fine with
that. I just didn't think it was worth the effort given my view on the
practical impact.

Robie