D.ROOT-SERVERS.NET changed January 3rd 2013

Tyler J. Wagner tyler at tolaris.com
Wed Jan 9 10:40:25 UTC 2013

On 2013-01-09 04:15, Chuck Peters wrote:
> See http://d.root-servers.org/.  I think bind9, and likely other DNS
> servers, should be updated to include the correct IPv4 D root
> server, http://www.internic.net/domain/named.root, and filed a bug
> report, https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/bind9/+bug/1090593.  As
> the issue stands now, it could be a long time before the LTS releases get
> the update, but it should not cause serious DNS problems.
>
> Robie Basak triaged the bug report and said:
> I'm reluctant to push for this unless a clear consensus is reached,
> somebody points out exactly what we've done in the past, or an experienced
> Ubuntu developer tells me otherwise.

Am I misreading this? It seems like a very simple fix. Update
/etc/bind/db.root in the bind9 packages. It's trivial to verify that the
new D root server is working:

$ dig SOA @199.7.91.13

In fact, the old IP (128.8.10.90) is still also responding, but that may
stop at any time.

I'm applying this update to my DNS servers now.

Regards,
Tyler

--
Commander Harken: "Seems odd you’d name your ship after a battle you
were on the wrong side of."