[vUDS Blueprint 13.10] MongoDB into Ubuntu main

James Page james.page at ubuntu.com
Tue Apr 30 12:22:31 UTC 2013

Hi List

MongoDB is becoming a popular core technology for Ubuntu Server, both in
its own right as a scalable, nosql database to support massive data
storage, and as a supporting technology for two other key projects;
OpenStack Ceilometer and Juju.

Both Ceilometer and Juju will most likely be included in Ubuntu main for
Saucy so I'm proposing that we review MongoDB with the intent of
including it in Ubuntu main as well, where it will receive the full
attention of the Ubuntu Security Team for security updates and have
increased focus from the Ubuntu Server Team for important bug fixes etc...

For Saucy, this would mean supporting the shipped release of MongoDB
(probably 2.4.x) for 9 months; this gets more challenging for 14.04
where the support lifetime of the release is 5 years (with at least two
years of aggressive security and functional bug fixes to get people to
16.04).   We should apply for a minor release exception from the
technical board so we can ship point releases from upstream during the
lifetime of 13.10 and 14.04.

We should also look at improving the support for non-x86 architectures;
specifically armhf which will be important for Ubuntu Server in
hyperscale ARM server deployments.  This work would be upstreamed where
possible.

I'd also like to see if we can work with 10gen on the MongoDB license to
allow us to enable SSL support in MongoDB upstream in Debian (and in
other distros). This will allow us to decrease the packaging delta
between Ubuntu and Debian.

I've CC'ed Eliot and Matt from 10gen; please feel free to chip in as
representatives of MongoDB upstream.  It would also be great if you
could attend the vUDS session once its agreed and scheduled.

So - what do people think?

Cheers

James

--