kvm-spice no video in 12.04

Serge Hallyn serge.hallyn at canonical.com
Wed Apr 18 20:42:57 UTC 2012

Quoting James Crow (james at ultratans.com):
> Hello,
>
> I posted on the Ubuntu-User list, but received no helpful replies.
>
> I have a 12.04 amd64 desktop install that I am trying to use
> kvm-spice to run a virtual Windows install. kvm is working fine and
> I have a regular vnc guest (Windows XP) that is running. I tried to
> create a new guest using kvm-spice as the hypervisor. I used an iso
> image and allocated a 40GB image file. Once the image was created,
> the guest shows as running, but I have no video in either the
> Virtual Machine Manager or connecting with spicy.
>
> Does anyone have a working kvm-spice install on 12.04?

I've used it, yes.  It does have problems, which is why it remains
a tech preview.  (There are also concerns about where the package is
heading.)  Make sure that you've added '-enable-kvm' to the arguments or
it'll run unaccelerated...  The guest must support qxl.  But the most
annoying thing has been that for instance grub screens aren't visible.

I've had working ubuntu+unity, kubuntu, and fedora installs under
kvm-spice.  Sometimes when grub decides it doesn't want to boot
until I hit return, I just get a blank screen and I have to boot with
-vnc to get a clean boot.

Have you installed the SPICE client binaries in the windows guest?
See 'Windows client' under http://spice-space.org/download.html
(linking to http://spice-space.org/download/binaries/spice-client-win32-0.6.3.zip )
Perhaps you can boot with vnc, run the spicec.exe in there, and then
boot with spice?  I don't know...  haven't yet had a chance to try.

-serge