Openldap with samba and ppolic schema

Richard L. Houston rhouston at rlhc.net
Wed Nov 2 15:34:35 UTC 2011

Hello all,

Long time lurker fist time poster.

I am setting up a openldap server on 10.04 server but am running into issues.

I have the base system setup with SSL and I can access the ldap server with out issue. I can authenticate users for 10.04 desktops with no issue. Where I run into issue is converting the ppolice schema file to ldif format. I have followed the docs at https://help.ubuntu.com/11.04/serverguide/C/openldap-server.html but I only really want ppolicy and samba. Is there documentation and or already converted schema's for ppolice and samba?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

On the ldap note, what I would like to know is if there is any prepackaged and or scripts that one can run that will leave you with a openldap system that can authenticate Windows clients and Linux clients. A management util would be nice as well. Here is the where this comes from. I have a few Window admin colleges that are interested in Linux as a DC for both Win and Lin systems but keep running into the same issue. Too much command line for there liking. Following the basics is fine like in the link above (read cut and past), but once you run into a glitch they are pooched. So as a result, another Win2K8 server with AD gets installed.

I would really like to see a simple Question/answer type script built or something that would make it simple for this kind of admin. There are allot of admins out there like that and we could get more Ubuntu DC server out there if it were not too scary for them.

If nothing exists would anyone be interested in working together on something like that? I am not a programmer and my scripting is enuff to get me by but I would love to give ideas, testing or what ever.
I think a web based tool for managing the DC would be a very good idea as well. Maybe a webmin module could be built to do that. That way we could leverage some of the already existing webmin modules.

Thought comments would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Rich

Best regards,