ethernet bonding on 10.04.2 LTS

Ruben Laban r.laban at ism.nl
Mon Mar 7 15:32:22 UTC 2011

Hi David,

On Monday 07 March 2011 at 16:28 (CET), David Miller wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 6:51 AM, Ruben Laban <r.laban at ism.nl> wrote:
> > This is the new "10.04 and newer" way.
> >
> > In order to have the last 3 lines applied, you need to replace the
> > ifenslave
> > lines with:
> >
> > bond-slaves eth0 eth1
>
> Looks like I have a 10.04 server setup the old way but it is working.
> Here's my config.
>
> iface eth0 inet manual
>
> iface eth1 inet manual
>
> auto bond0
>     iface bond0 inet static
>     address 10.0.0.10
>     netmask 255.255.255.0
>     broadcast 10.0.0.255
>     gateway 10.0.0.1
>     bond-mode balance-rr
>     bond-miimon 100
>     up /sbin/ifenslave bond0 eth0 eth1
>     down /sbin/ifenslave -d bond0 eth0 eth1
>
> Looking at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuBonding it appears as
> though if you're using the "bond-slaves" method you also no longer need to
> have the "iface ethX inet manual" lines.  Is this correct?
>
> I'll have to look into migrating over to the new way in my next maintenance
> window.

It's quite simple actually: /sbin/ifenslave is in no way aware of the file
/etc/network/interfaces. So the bond-* lines in there are completely ignored
by ifenslave. As balance-rr happens to be the default mode, it *seems* like
your config gets applied, but in fact you're just running with default
settings.

Regards,
Ruben Laban