some confusion regarding package updates

Tapas Mishra mightydreams at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 12:27:25 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 5:55 PM, Carsten Aulbert
<carsten.aulbert at aei.mpg.de> wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Wednesday 19 January 2011 13:21:44 Tapas Mishra wrote:
>> How ever I have installed cron-apt which has scheduled an update for
>> daily morning 4 o clock,
>> So does this message mean that it is not getting updated.
>
> From the package description of cron-apt:
>
> [..]
> Contains a tool that is run by a cron job at regular intervals. By default it
>  just updates the package list and downloads new packages without installing.
>  You can instruct it to run anything that you can do with apt-get
>  (or aptitude).
> [..]
Ohh thanks its my fault I missed that part.

> Thus you possibly need to configure it, to run the updates automatically - but
> I'm not sure if that is a good thing because it could break the system or you
> won't get an updates kernel live as this might require a reboot.
You are correct as I have experienced this in past.
I have a test machine for doing this to see if every thing is working.
I can try if you suggest any thing on that.So that before I deploy it
on a production machine
I am sure that things are working.

--
http://mightydreams.blogspot.com