some confusion regarding package updates

Imre Gergely gimre at narancs.net
Wed Jan 19 14:06:33 UTC 2011

 On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 17:57:25 +0530, Tapas Mishra wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 5:55 PM, Carsten Aulbert
> <carsten.aulbert at aei.mpg.de> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> On Wednesday 19 January 2011 13:21:44 Tapas Mishra wrote:
>>> How ever I have installed cron-apt which has scheduled an update
>>> for
>>> daily morning 4 o clock,
>>> So does this message mean that it is not getting updated.
>>
>> From the package description of cron-apt:
>>
>> [..]
>> Contains a tool that is run by a cron job at regular intervals. By
>> default it
>>  just updates the package list and downloads new packages without
>> installing.
>>  You can instruct it to run anything that you can do with apt-get
>>  (or aptitude).
>> [..]
> Ohh thanks its my fault I missed that part.
>>
>> Thus you possibly need to configure it, to run the updates
>> automatically - but
>> I'm not sure if that is a good thing because it could break the
>> system or you
>> won't get an updates kernel live as this might require a reboot.
> You are correct as I have experienced this in past.
> I have a test machine for doing this to see if every thing is
> working.
> I can try if you suggest any thing on that.So that before I deploy it
> on a production machine
> I am sure that things are working.

 I'm using apt-cron also and I set it to just download the packages and
 send me an email if there's something to update. Then I log in and do
 the update manually (apt-get upgrade / dist-upgrade).
 If you have lots of servers, that wouldn't be practical I guess. But
 for 1-2 servers I think it's not a big deal (IF you look at your emails
 fairly often, like once a day?).

--
 Imre Gergely
 Yahoo!: gergelyimre | ICQ#: 101510959