Intel matrix storage manager support?

Robbie Williamson robbie at ubuntu.com
Tue Feb 15 18:47:54 UTC 2011

On 02/15/2011 07:10 AM, jurgen.depicker at let.be wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> As you may know, many Intel motherboards ship with a BIOS fakeraid
> (software raid).  Presently, Ubuntu doesn't seem to know how to handle
> these, apparently due to mdadm being too old: as far as I know, imsm is
> supported starting from mdadm V3 and higher.  I checked the ubuntu
> packages, and came to know that v3 will be shipped in the upcoming
> release 11.04 (natty).  The present version of mdadm is below 3.
>
> Presently, I use SW raid on many of our servers.  But for some customer
> installations, support of imsm would be nice.  Will ubuntu support imsm
> raids by default?
I'm not sure I understand your question. We will have mdadm v3.1.4 by
default, and support for it in the installer (via mdadm-udeb).  If this
version supports imsm raids, as you've indicated, then I believe the
answer to your question is "yes".

-Robbie

--
Robbie Williamson <robbie at ubuntu.com>
robbiew[irc.freenode.net]

"You can't be lucky all the time, but you can be smart everyday"
 -Mos Def

"Arrogance is thinking you are better than everyone else, while
Confidence is knowing no one else is better than you." -Me ;)