ServerGuide reviewers needed

Paul paul at paulgraydon.co.uk
Mon Aug 22 18:51:31 UTC 2011

On 08/22/2011 04:00 AM, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> On Monday, August 22, 2011 08:21:35 AM Ahmed Kamal wrote:

>>> Hi Ahmed,
>>>
>>> Is there a general idea of what level we ought to be aiming the
>>> documentation at?  There is a bunch of things that could be added to
>>> the MySQL section, for example, without turning it into a full on
>>> MySQL Guide (unless that's what we're aiming at?).  Currently it's
>>> focussed along the lines of 'this is how you install it, start it and
>>> a couple of minor tweaks'.  It could be filled out with brief
>>> discussion of the different storage engines provided by the packages,
>>> their strengths and weaknesses etc.  The approach seems to vary
>>> between different sections of the documentation, and even within the
>>> same chapter.  It would seem in general that the database section is
>>> woefully lacking in detail compared to other chapters.
>>>
>>> Paul
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> So I got two questions that I'd like to answer publicly
>>
>> 1- What is our deadline
>> 2- What is the depth needed for the review
>>
>> My answer is
>>
>> 1- I'm no docs expert, but I checked and Oneiric "documentation string
>> freeze" is Sep 15th. Allowing for 10 days for merge proposal
>> discussions, we would have only *two weeks* starting today (22Aug-5Sep)
>> to get all the content you would like to review in a "ready to merge"
>> state from your perspective. As you can see this is not a lot of time,
>> so your prompt help is needed
> Documentation string freeze is for documentation shipped in the archive.  A
> few release cycles ago we removed the ubuntu-serverguide package and the guide
> is provided via help.ubuntu.com now, so we should have more time.  That
> doesn't mean people shouldn't start working now, but it's not yet critical.

So I should be okay for making some major changes to the chapter?  If
we're focussed on short term there are just a few small changes to make
that I could do in about 5 minutes at lunchtime and commit.  I should be
able to get the MySQL section sorted in greater detail within about a
week, maybe two at the outside.  Postgresql will take me longer as I'm
unfamiliar with it, but it's been something I've been meaning to learn
(however if someone else wants to run with it, let me know.)

Paul