Backups

Fabio T. Leitao fabio.tleitao at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 04:49:38 UTC 2011

For my desktop I usually use BackInTime, which has a really good GUI for
rsync and hardlinks (to prevent disk waste) in a similar way that Apple does
with TimeMachine ... I have set it to save to an external HDD with the
autoremove feature keeping a smart schedule to drop the older files. Really
easy to use, good GUI, fast to restore, crontab, textual config file under
~/.config ...

Have in mind, it has nothing to do with a full feature backup solution for a
server / enterprise / datacenter

2011/4/20 Laurent Dinclaux <laurent at gecka.com>

> 2011/4/20 James Gray <james at gray.net.au>
>
>> I've always been a big "Bacula" fan.  There's a *really* good Webmin
>> module for it and if you absolutely must have a dedicated GUI try "bat"
>> (Qt-based Bacula front end).  I've been using Bacula for quite a few years
>> in both professional and personal duties using various backup media (DVD,
>> HDD, Tape - including autoloaders) to/from multiple systems and never had
>> any problems.  Usual disclaimers apply and YYMV ;)
>>

> I use rdiff-backup on all my servers and it is fast, reliable, and easy to
> use/restore.
>
> I am happy with it.
>
> --
> Laurent Dinclaux