Backups

Alon Swartz alon at turnkeylinux.org
Wed Apr 20 12:46:38 UTC 2011

Hi Michael,

On 04/19/11 17:33, Michael Terry wrote:
> Hello!  I'm doing a bit of research for my proposal for Ubuntu Desktop
> to install the GNOME-based Déjà Dup backup tool by default.  (btw,
> please cc: me)
>
> I get the sense that command line backup methods are thick on the
> ground.  Is there a backup tool that the Ubuntu Server project
> recommends?

For server backups I'd recommend TurnKey Backup and Migration [1], a
pain-free, smart backup and migration system that just works. No
configuration required.

> Is the program duplicity [1] (upon which Déjà Dup is based) well
> regarded in the server community?  I'm curious if there is any mindshare
> overlap at all.

TKLBAM uses duplicity as its backend, so in general I'd recommend it.

Disclaimer: I'm one of the TurnKey Linux developers.

[1] https://hub.turnkeylinux.org/tour/backup/

Cheers,
Alon Swartz