[Oneiric-Topic] virtualization tools

Scott Moser smoser at ubuntu.com
Wed Apr 13 17:00:02 UTC 2011

Hi, I'd like to start a general "virtualization tools" conversation here.

At the moment, things I think would be nice adds to Ubuntu would be:

 * libguestfs packages
   libguestfs allows you to much more easily work with virtual disk images
   and to do so without being root.  I've somewhat proposed work around
   this before, but it seems that libguestfs is more mature for Debian
   that it previously was.  I'd like to have this in the archive.

   There is an ITP for debian at [1].

 * virtual machine builder using cobbler
   The ubuntu server team spent a fair amount of effort getting Cobbler
   working on natty.  One tool that comes with Cobbler is 'koan'.
   It seems that we can use koan to create a kvm based vm-builder that
   uses the ISO installer and debian pre-seed.  This sort of image
   builder allows you to build images as non-root.

   This may not really require much more than documentiong how to easily
   take an ISO, and a preseed file and making an image pop out.  However,
   a simple wrapper that made that happen would likely be nice.

Does anyone else have tools they'd like to see written or packaged?

koan