[Oneiric-Topic] Augeas Integration

Raphaël Pinson raphink at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 15:11:14 UTC 2011

On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 4:00 PM, Etienne Goyer
<etienne.goyer at canonical.com> wrote:
> We discussed Augeas at a previous UDS (circa 2009, not sure when).  It's
> an interesting concept, and I think there is some value in it.
>
> Back then, the main problem was that Augeas identified configuration
> files by path, and these where hard-coded for Red Hat.  It's really not
> a big deal, I guess that can be fixed, but is it still the case?

Quite a few Debian paths have been added (and even Debian
specificities) to the standard Augeas lenses.

Lenses must know about standard OS paths for configuration files, but
it's not a big deal to add these paths (either in Ubuntu as patches,
in Augeas directly - I'm a committer -, or upstream if they take up
maintenance).

In order to avoid patching/forking, it's also possible to make new
lenses that use the lens and modify the file filter, saying something
like: use the httpd.aug lens on /etc/apache2/apache2.conf (this is
already the case by default in httpd.aug, it's just to provide an
example).

Raphaël