Changes in booting with ubuntu-server 10.04

Michael Waltz mwaltz at qualcomm.com
Tue Mar 23 20:56:45 UTC 2010

After trying out the alpha and beta releases of Ubuntu I am finding that
the booting method of 10.04 is greatly altered. I understand why there
were made, to improve the boot time and make it look nicer, but they
seem to contrast with how a server should boot.

With a traditional unix-like startup a server administrator expects to
see what exactly is booting on the system and if there are any failures
or warnings. It seems that this is not the case in 10.04 so far. When I
first installed Alpha 3, grub automatically booted to the first OS
listing without even listing the menu (I understand you can use ESC to
go into the menu) and then plymouth took over displaying a splash screen
until the login prompt without showing any boot information.

Are there plans for the 10.04 server version to keep with a traditional
server start-up? Or is this the default we should expect upon install?
I've changed a few things, such as enabling the grub menu with a 5
second timeout, removing plymouth on install, but there are still a few
bits that make booting seem odd. The first is that the systems boots by
default to tty7, displaying a blank screen like it's expecting X to
start up. The second is I'm unable to find a way to have upstart display
any information about what init or init.d scripts are running.

There are a few bug reports on these items, but they're not necessarily
"bugs" it seems since this is how the desktop flavor is suppose to work.

With 10.04 server can we expect a traditional server boot or are
individual admins going to have to enable these extra bits of verbosity
manually?

--
Micheal Waltz
SMG Unix Infrastructure